A convenient way of connecting trails, running errands, or exploring back country roads is using your dirt bike. However, Colorado requires a that a vehicle be “licensed” on most county, state and local routes.

Converting your dirt bike to “Street Legal”, and obtaining registration and a title is easier than you thought! 

Here we will discuss the current methods and stipulations of doing so:

PAPERWORK: The forms required to begin your process can be found at: https://dmv.colorado.gov/forms-vehicles

You will need:

DR 2686: Certification of Equipment Compliance for Motorcycles https://dmv.colorado.gov/sites/dmv/files/DR2686.pdf

DR 2444: State of Colorado Statement of Fact https://dmv.colorado.gov/sites/dmv/files/DR2444.pdf

DR2395: Application for Title and/or Registration https://dmv.colorado.gov/sites/dmv/files/DR2395_0.pdf

Proof of Ownership: Either a completed bill of sale or your current Colorado Parks and Wildlife Motorcycle (OHV) Registration Card. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Bill%20of%20Sale.pdf

INSPECTION: You will need to contact your local Colorado State Patrol Office to schedule an in-person VIN and Compliance Inspection. You are required to trailer/truck bed/moto-hitch your motorcycle(s) to their location. The Cost is $50.00 per motorcycle. https://csp.colorado.gov/get-a-vin-inspection

The Trooper will need to see your VIN, so be prepared to unstrap and turn your handlebars to a direction allowing easy visibility to your vehicles identification number. Also, be prepared to start your motorcycle if not equipped with a battery for indication of your lamps circuit.

HEADLAMPS: Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of sections 42-4-202 and 42-4-204 to 42-4-231 and part three of this article where applicable thereto. (LED Headlights/headlamps are a great way to alleviate stress on a factory stator.)

TAIL LAMPS AND REFLECTORS: Equipped with one tail lamp mounted on rear shall emit red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet. Height measured not more than seventy-two inches nor less than twenty inches. Every motorcycle shall carry at least one reflector meeting the requirements of this section (5). (Again, an aftermarket tail-light assemble that is LED will alleviate stress on a factory stator.)

STOP LAMPS: All motorcycles manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1958 shall be equipped with at least one stop light meeting the requirements of this section. (A brake light switch is a simple installation. You can use a hydraulic or manual switch attached to your rear brakes master cylinder.)

BRAKES: Equipped with brakes to control the movement and to stop and hold a vehicle. One wheel shall be equipped with brakes.

HORNS: Equipped with a horn in good working condition with an audible sound of two hundred feet. (The days of a squeezy “clown horn” are behind us. Luckily many manufactures now offer USB rechargeable horns that require no wiring.) 

MIRRORS: Equipped with a mirror free of obstruction that views a distance of two hundred feet to the rear.

RESTRICTIONS ON TIRE EQUIPMENT: Must be marked DOT on-road use.

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT OR MODIFICATIONS: All original safety equipment must be in proper working condition. (If your motorcycle is equipped with something, it must work. Example, if you have turn indicators/blinkers installed on your bike, they must function.)

Once the officer/trooper has signed off on your DR2686, he will print a DR2704 State of Colorado Certified VIN Inspection C.R.S. 42-5-202. Also be prepared for your drivers license to be run through dispatch.

TITLING/REGISTRATION: The next step is to take your completed paperwork to the DMV. https://dmv.colorado.gov/county-motor-vehicle-offices

You will need your DR2686 (Certification of equipment compliance two pages), DR2704 (Certified VIN inspection), DR2444 (statement of odometer), completed DR2395 (Application for Title and/or Registration), your current and valid drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement, proof of current insurance for the motorcycle you intend on registering), and your proof of ownership (bill of sale or CPW OHV registration card).

CPW OHV PERMIT: Once your motorcycle is plated, you can now obtain a Colorado Parks and Wildlife Off-Highway Vehicle Permit. More information can be found here: https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx