Alpine Loop

Where To Go: Alpine Loop | Stay The Trail

San Juan County, Colorado

How To Get There

From Durango:

Travel North on Highway 550 to Silverton.

At Silverton, turn right onto State Highway 110 towards Eureka.

There is a large staging area once you cross the river at Eureka.

From Montrose:

Travel South on Highway 550 through Ouray to Silverton.

At Silverton, turn left onto State Highway 110 towards Eureka.

There is a large staging area once you cross the river at Eureka.

Detailed Description

Pin Point is for CO-110 as it heads out of Silverton

Adopted Trails

** FR829 Adopted by Creeper Jeepers

** FR878, FR876, FR886, Adopted by Western Slope 4 Wheelers

Engineer Pass connects Ouray and Lake City

Cinammon Pass connects Lake City and Animas Forks/Silverton

Black Bear and Imogene Pass connect to Telluride from either Ouray or Silverton

Unlicensed OHV's are allowed on the County Roads that comprise the Alpine Loop. However, there are a few distinct regulations in place.

1) Valid State-Issued Drivers License for operators.

2) Liability Insurance

3) The Alpine Loop cannot be completed through Lake City on unlicensed OHV's. The connection requires travel on CO HWY149, so only licensed dirt bikes and full-size vehicles can complete the loop. There is a shuttle service that can be utilized for a fee.

Trail System Maps & GPS Files

Trail System Photos

Click thumbnail to view a larger version of each photo.

Trailhead leaving off the west side of Hwy 550 at Red Mountain Pass

Trail System Videos

No videos.

Popular Trails in This Area

Engineer Pass (CR20, FR878)**
Cinammon Pass (CR30)
California Gulch
Picayune Gulch
Poughkeepsie Gulch (FR876)
Corkscrew Gulch (FR886)
Minnie Gulch
Maggie Gulch
American Basin
Stony Pass
Wager Gulch (Trail 821)
Ophir Pass
Black Bear Pass (FR829)**
Imogene Pass
Yankee Boy Basin

Trail System Information


Location is:

Staging Area Near Trails

Nearest City:







to feet

Best For:






Note that not all of the trails in an area will be open to all vehicle types. Follow the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)s and signage for the area and ride only on trails open to and wider than your OHV.

More Info:

San Juan Public Lands Center, (970) 247-4874